Season 2. Episode 16: Dave Astor on Books & Creativity

Dave Astor and I are once again  bridging the 3,923 kilometers between New Jersey to Vancouver.

The book on top of my 2020 stack of books,  is Dave Astor’s Fascinating Facts About Famous Fiction Authors and the Greatest Novels of All Time: The Book Lover’s Guide to Literary Trivia. Dave has a marvelous way of going deep to find the story that is hidden in the folds of history.

In Dave’s most recent post, “More Than Zero Interest in Zero-Year Novels”, he featured some of his favorite (not necessarily the best) novels that were published in 1970, 1920, 1870, and various other years ending in that big ol’ round number of zero.

Put the kettle on and add to this exciting conversation on TeaToastTrivia.com

I am your host Rebecca Budd and I’m looking forward to sharing this moment with you.

Thank you for joining Dave and me on Tea Toast & Trivia. And a very special thank you and shout out to Dave.  You can connect with Dave on Dave Astor on Literature.   There is always an adventure in reading waiting for your arrival on his blog.

Until next time, safe travels wherever your adventures take you.

Music by Sven Karlsson “Wait for the Night” Epidemic Sound

1. Dave Astor says:

Thanks so much, Rebecca, for having me on your show again! You are a wonderful podcast host and interviewer. 🙂

Thank you for your generosity in sharing your insights. You continue to inspire and challenge me with excellent books intros and remarkable conversations that thrive on your blog. It is always exciting to visit and participate.

2. Great discussion on literature and creativity. Thanks, Rebecca and Dave!

I am so pleased that you listened in Becky. I love following your blog and being part of your amazing community. Many thanks!

1. I appreciate that, Rebecca!

2. Dave Astor says:

Thank you very much, Becky! And I second Rebecca’s comment about your fantastic blog. 🙂

1. Dave, I certainly appreciate you saying so!

I agree. Dave’s blog provides ‘novel’ and fun ways to discuss books 🙂 Learning from the Australian study that Millennials are carrying and reading books is very encouraging. Dave’s insight that books can help us not only survive but thrive is important.

That article was a marvelous and comforting confirmation that our next generation will continue to read, explore and advance – and as you say, thrive. I am auditing a marvelous art history course and am thrilled to see the discussion around art and history is alive and well.

1. Dave Astor says:

Rebecca, thank you again for bringing that millennials-read-a lot article to my attention! It made my day. 🙂

2. Dave Astor says:

Thanks so much for the kind words, Mary Jo! And I’ve been greatly enjoying your poetry on your blog!

Yes, literature is VERY important, and it’s heartening that many millennials are major readers.

4. elisabethm says:

I really enjoyed listening to the two of you! 🤗🤗

We are trying to figure out how to bring three people into the discussion. Stay tuned…..

1. Dave Astor says:

Thank you very much, Elisabeth! As I enjoyed your two appearances on Rebecca’s podcast (and your compelling Russian-literature blog).

Rebecca, a three-person podcast would be great — technology willing. 🙂

I’m hoping. Let’s see what our techie can come up with!!!!😊😊😊

5. The comments about the influence of reading on one’s creativity are particularly apt for me. I have found since becoming part of the blogging community that my creativity is sparked on a regular basis by the blogs I read and the ensuing conversations. For example, I’ve been writing tanka lately and found it a perfect form to write about my mother and my brother, who have both passed away. I never would have entertained the idea if not for being a follower of Colleen Chesebro’s blog, “Word Craft ~ Prose and Poetry,” which features syllabic poetry. I also appreciated the comments about getting to know a person by what they write. Not getting to know my students was my biggest concern when I transitioned from classroom to online teaching more than ten years ago. I found to my surprise that I actually knew them better because all of the communication is written (except for research paper meltdowns, of course, which need oral communication by phone or teleconference).

Found Colleen Chesebro’s blog – what a wonderful place to share poetry. Colleen has an extraordinary way of affirmation, which encourages exploration and taking risk. Poetry is alive and well, a great comfort to me. The breadth and depth of possibilities that are held within words and languages is infinite. Words carry energy and intention, perspective and emotions. We are known by the words in which we express who we are. Your students are very, very lucky to have you as their professor.

1. Dave Astor says:

Thank you for your comment, Liz! Glad you liked the conversation, including the two elements of it you mentioned (creativity and knowing people by what they write).

Good to hear you’ve had some positive experiences with online teaching; I realize that form of education has the potential to be a mixed experience — whether it be a student meltdown or something else. 🙂

Also, after seeing what you wrote, I (as you did, Rebecca) looked at Colleen Chesebro’s blog, found it interesting, and signed up for email alerts.

Last but not least: Rebecca, your words about poetry were…poetic!

You always make my day, Dave!