Season 2 Episode 36: Going Back to Manderley with Liz Humphreys

My dear blogger friend, Liz Humphreys from her blog Leaping Life and I have once again bridged the 7,059 kilometres between Edinburgh and Vancouver to discuss – well, let me give you a hint:

Yes, Liz and I will be discussing Daphne du Maurier.

I am your host Rebecca Budd and I am looking forward to sharing this moment with you.

Going Back to Manderley with Liz Humphreys Tea. Toast. & Trivia.

Season 2 Episode 36: Going Back to Manderley with Liz Humphreys My dear blogger friend, Liz Humphreys from her blog Leaping Life and I have once again bridged the 7,059 kilometres between Edinburgh and Vancouver to discuss, well, let me give you a hint: ‘Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again. It seemed to me I stood by the iron gate to the drive, and for a while I could not enter, for the way was barred to me. There was a padlock and a chain upon the gate. I called in my dream to the lodge-keeper, and had no answer, and peering closer through the rusted spokes of the gate I saw that the lodge was uninhabited.’ Yes, Liz and I will be discussing Daphne du Maurier. Put the kettle on and join in the conversation.  We would love to hear your thoughts on TeaToastTrivia.com I am your host Rebecca Budd, and I am looking forward to sharing this moment with you. Thank you for joining Liz and me on Tea Toast & Trivia. And a very special thank you and shout out to Liz from the blog, Leaping Life and to heavenali, who hosted Daphne du Maurier Reading week May 11 – 17, 2020.
  1. Going Back to Manderley with Liz Humphreys
  2. Traveling the Mists of Ancient Orkney with Lorna Brown
  3. Elisabeth on the Eugene Onegin Challenge Part 2
  4. The Trio on Should we learn another language?
  5. Jean-Jacques Fournier The Poetry of Crows & Ravens

1. Jean-Jacques says:

Whom pray tell, among passionate and ardent readers, has not read Daphne du Maurier, pray tell… Great choice, Rebecca!

Daphne has captured the imaginations of new generations, long after her books left the publishing house. Each one of her stories provide insight into emotional possibilities of the human experience. Thank you for joining this conversation, Jean-Jacques. Hugs coming to you and Marianne!

I enjoyed this podcast focusing on Du Maurier’s novels. Loved Rebecca and Jamaica Inn but not so much The House on the Strand. Perhaps if I’d listened to the novel, as you and Liz did, it would have helped. My objection is that Cornwall isn’t really a ‘character’ the way it is in Du Maurier’s other works. Frenchman’s Creek looks really good! Your anecdote about your mother staying up all night in order to finish Rebecca is precious. Her stories do that to us, don’t they? They are definitely adult novels but without the gore and sex we often find in the mystery-suspense genre today. Another wonderful podcast…thank you!

I LOVED Frenchman’s Creek, which again brought out the many facets of love and of transitioning into the next stage of life. Daphne’s characters are difficult to understand, given the choices that are made. But then, that is what life is all about – choices, disappointments, moving on. I am glad that I read “The House on the Strand” which was a recommendation from Dave Astor, who warned that it was not the usual du Maurier read. I appreciated Liz’s thought on this – that the narrative was a reflection of the times and of Daphne’s desire to recreate the same intensity of her previous novels. As for audio formats, what started out because I needed to give my eyes a rest from being on a computer most of the day, has become my go-to place to read a story. It adds a dramatic flare and layers – the writer, the reader, the narrator, the music and sounds, each adding an influence to the original book. Thank you so much for your support and encouragement, Mary Jo!!! Hugs and my gratitude coming your way.

3. Liz says:

I love that photo of us! Thanks so much for another marvellous podcasting adventure together – may there be many more! X

That was an eventful “tea” moment, wasn’t it? It was there beginning of many conversations that have inspired our journeys. I look forward to the making conversations waiting for our arrival. As “Michel de Montaigne once wrote: ?The most fruitful and natural exercise for our minds is, in my opinion, conversation.”