Season 2 Episode 35: Traveling the Mists of Ancient Orkney with Lorna Brown

Skara Brae

Welcome to Tea Toast & Trivia.

Join me as I travel across the ocean to Orkney, where the fresh sea air and rugged landscape captures the spirit of daring souls.  I am delighted that I am meeting up with my friend, Lorna Brown of See Orkney Tours, who was our family’s intrepid guide through the mists of ancient Orkney.  We touched the Standing Stones of Stenness and traced the prehistoric path of the Ring of Brodgar.

Travel plans may have been placed on hold, but for today imagine that you have joined Lorna and me on the white sandy beach that leads up to Skara Brae, a 5000-year-old Neolithic village. Do you feel the chilly breeze off the ocean?  It is sunny, a perfect day to begin our adventure.

So, put the kettle on and add to this exciting conversation.I am your host Rebecca Budd and I am looking forward to sharing this moment with you.

Lorna Brown

A special thank you to Lorna for sharing the stories of Orkney. She has promised to come back for another conversation.  Until then, you can meet up with her at See Orkney Tours

Until next time, keep safe and be well.

Robert Rendall, Poet

The Art of Romance with Shehanne Moore Tea. Toast. & Trivia.

Season 2 Episode 41: The Art of Romance with Shehanne Moore If her body was fed to the crows in one-inch pieces, before her eyes and all she needed to do to stop it was kiss him, she’d sooner the crows didn’t go hungry.." Shehanne Moore,  The Unraveling of Lady Fury Welcome to Tea, Toast and Trivia. Thank you for listening in. I am travelling approximately 8,000 kilometres from Vancouver to Broughty Ferry, Scotland,  Dundee’s Historic Seaside Village, to meet up with my friend and Shehanne Moore, the writer who has given us the exciting historical romance, “The Unraveling of Lady Fury.” When not cuddling inn signs in her beloved Scottish mountains alongside Mr. Shey, or spending time with their family, Shehanne Moore writes dark and smexy historical romance, featuring bad boys who need a bad girl to sort them out. Put the kettle on and join in the conversation.  We would love to hear your thoughts on Tea Toast & Trivia. I am your host Rebecca Budd and I am looking forward to sharing this moment with you. Thank you for joining Shehanne and me on Tea Toast & Trivia. And a very special thank you and shout out to Shehanne.  I invite your to meet up with Shehanne on her blog, Shehanne Moore . Be warned, you are only an internet click away from being swept away in a daring adventure.
  1. The Art of Romance with Shehanne Moore
  2. Patricia Sands on Telling Your Story
  3. Joan Hudson on The Artist’s Journey
  4. Frances on the Art of Aging
  5. The Trio on Goal Setting

1. Such an interesting episode, Rebecca and Lorna, and especially timely for me. I just finished reading a lovely novel, “The Bookshop on the Corner,” which is set in Scotland. The main characters go to Orkney for a holiday, but not much is told about the place, itself. Now I know more! Great history, photos, and that dialect…wow!

I am delighted and thrilled that you joined Lorna and I on this adventure. I was looking for the book “The Bookshop on the Corner”. Is the author, Jenny Colgan. Thank you for the introduction. Looks like a great book. Your comments and visits are very much appreciated.

1. Yes, Jenny Colgan is the author. There’s also a sequel called “The Bookshop on the Shore.” I love her writing style!

Found that one too, Becky! Thank you for the introduction!!

Listening to Lorna speak was like music to my ears. What a delight to learn that Norn is the Orkney language, in addition to being the name of the three fates of Norse mythology. This word was my youngest daughter’s nickname, although it was an accidental pronunciation of her actual name by her brother! Your question to Lorna, Rebecca, about gardening was my own when she mentioned how farming replaced hunter-gathering culture in Orkney. It seems such a cold, windswept place at the top of the world, so I was pleased to hear it has a mild climate. Your previous video tours of Orkney were so tangible, so thank you for this podcast. Simply wonderful…so evocative…but I’ve never been there!

When I toured the Orkney farmhouse and barn, I was reminded of my grandparents place on this side of the ocean. There were many similarities – the piano, the hymns, the Bible quotes on the wall. I felt I had entered a sacred place where long ago conversations about the daily events were held safe in the walls. I loved the Orkney climate, which is not to hot or not too cold. But what I remember most is the fresh wind coming off the ocean. I am so glad that you joined Lorna and me on this adventure. I have asked Lorna to come back and speak of the Orkney folk tales and legends. There are many stories in those islands. Hugs and more hugs.

1. Oh, I would love to hear Lorna talkabout the Orkney folk tales and legends!

I am looking forward to hearing them too. My son, who is the travel agent of our family, arranged for us to meet up with Lorna and her daughter Carrie when we first arrived in Orkney. We had first visited Orkney in 2014 but only for a short duration. When I arrived back home, I realized that all the “Orkney” photos had mysteriously disappeared. I somehow lost the camera chip that held all the photos. Looking back, I believe that the selkies had intervened and were calling us back. The second time, I was prepared. I would NOT lose any photos. But the selkies had worked their magic and there will always be a part that has remained with them.

3. The selkies, eh? Seems a reasonable theory to me!

I knew you would understand, Liz!!

3. A wonderful conversation, Lorna and Rebecca. I’ve remember the Orkney Islands being mentioned on the BBC weather forecast when I lived in England. It’s so interesting to hear from someone who actually lives there and to learn something of the history. The festivals sound like such fun occasions. 🙂

So glad that you joined Lorna and me at Skara Brae, Sylvia. Here’s a thought – why don’t we travel to Orkney for the St. Magnus festival, together. The acoustics are fabulous – The whispers at the back of the church were clear at the front. I can only imagine what the music would sound like. Hugs coming to your side of the continent.

4. I enjoyed learning a little more about Orkney. I remember the photographs from the visit you shared with us in an earlier post. I can’t begin to image what a thrill it must have been to be the person to discover 5,000 year old houses!

As in all houses, small and large, there is a story that surrounds Skaill house. I must remind Lorna to tell it as she is a wonderful storyteller. I am amazed that the landowner, William Watt, had the foresight to preserve the site. Legend has it that, in 1850, an enormous storm tore away the sand and grass to reveal the village. When these events occur, it is as if history will not be held back, but will find ways to remind us all that we belong to a greater journey, that others walked this world before us, that we too will be embraced by the sands of time. I am so glad that you joined Lorna and me. Hugs!

1. I would love to hear Lorna tell the story of the Skaill house!