Season 2. Episode 12: Jean-Jacques Fournier on Poetry

Welcome to Tea. Toast. & Trivia.

I’m your host, Rebecca Budd, and I am looking forward to sharing this moment with you.  I am delighted and thrilled that my dear friend and poet; Jean-Jacques Fournier is with me today to share insights on poetry.

Jean-Jacques Fournier is a native of Montreal and has been living  in the Eastern Townships (QC) since 2010 with his French wife Marianne. Before returning to Canada, he lived eight years in the South of France, first in Vence, which is situated in the hills of the Alpes Maritime overlooking the Mediterranean Sea. Then in Grasse, considered the world’s capital of perfume. It sounds marvelous, does it not?

Jean-Jacques’s poetry expresses the emotional depth and breadth of the human experience.  I am pleased to announce his sixteenth book of poetry has just been published, entitled.

LOVE  – by any definition –

A collection of Love Poems

He shared a poem from this collection in a recent blog post: “The Gift” of you,  It is a marvelous way to welcome 2020, a new year and a new decade.

Join me as I explore the theme of love through the lens of poetry by Jean-Jacques Fournier

Jean-Jacques Fournier Facebook

Poetry on a Canapé – A journey through Jean-Jacques Fournier’s poetry

For more information, and preview of Love by any definition, click here!

Music by David Celeste, “Two as One.” Epidemic Sound

Rebecca, I know you’ve mentioned this idea of the appeal of poetry’s brevity in one of your podcasts. So, it’s nice to see Jean-Jacques reinforce it with his avowed lack of patience for longer forms. Poetry, especially contemporary poetry, is just that right fit of shorter content yet has deep meaning. It has the power to evoke emotion perhaps even subconsciously. I love your expression, “the idea of emotion,” which on the surface seems paradoxical. Jean-Jacques writes very cerebral poetry, by which I merely mean it’s not imagist, and it evokes our own thoughts and memories. For example, the last stanza of “ The Gift ” – of you – is one that many readers can identify with. Lovely broadcast, as always. Hugs!

Mary Jo – your thoughts continue to move me forward in my search for understanding of poetry. I especially appreciate your words, “It has the power to evoke emotion perhaps even subconsciously.” As you know, I’ve come late to poetry. My father, unknowns to me wrote poetry. I have a poem that he wrote on the passing of our beloved pet, “Beauty” a toy poodle. But I know he had others that will never be known except to him. Thank you for sharing your poetry and for allowing me to recite it in future posts and podcasts. Hugs coming back at great speed.

2. Jean-Jacques’ comment about his lack of patience with writing in longer forms caught my attention, too. I hadn’t really thought about writing poetry in that light before. What I particularly enjoy about writing, reading, and listening to poetry is the emphasis on the individual word. With poetry, I get to enjoy the mouthfeel of individual words in a way that prose doesn’t allow for.

How insightful – an individual word. Yes, I can see that one word is analogous to a solitary symbol. We know the usual words that bring out an emotional idea: freedom, hope, beauty, river, cloud. But there are so many more that come to mind that are powerful and come from a deeper place…arc, reason, distance, warmth, bridge, parched, hunger, reverence.! Oh, the words that we have are treasures.

2. Thank you for sharing this. I specially like the phrase: Love is “a banquet of emotional ideas.”

Thank you for listening in, Jo! Jean-Jacques’s poetry has added depth and breadth to my understanding of poetry. I am delighted that he shared his thoughts on poetry. And he is coming back in future podcasts – more discussion coming. Your support and encouragement are so very much appreciated.

3. Resa says:

That was most enjoyable, a banquet of Jean-Jacques, if you will.
    This is at least the second time I have enjoyed a podcast here, featuring Jean-Jacques.
    My compliments all around!

I’m delighted that you joined our conversation, Resa! You are a wonderful kindred spirit – I love your posts that connect art and poetry. Poetry brings us together, gives us a greater understanding of who we are and how we can participate in a wider conversation. I have learned so much about poetry from following Jean-Jacques blog and honoured that he has shared his insights on Tea Toast & Trivia.

4. I’ve been a long time follower/admirer of Jean-Jacques poetry and how wonderful to hear him in your brilliant podcast – interview, Rebecca. Thank you so very much… both!!!!! 🙂

So glad that you listened in! You always add joy to all conversations. Hugs coming your way…

1. …and many hugs back! xoxoxoxo

5. First of all, congratulations to Jean-Jacques on the publication of his latest book! I’ve just subscribed to his blog. I enjoyed listening to his insights on poetry, particularly his response to the question, Is poetry necessary? Since joining the blogging community a couple of years ago, I’ve been surprised at the number of people writing and sharing their poetry. This tells me that poetry is meeting a very important need people have to connect–to their innermost selves as well as to other people. As Robin Williams said, we write poetry because we’re human.

I am delighted that you listened in to Jean-Jacques podcast. His generosity in allowing me to recite his poetry has been very much appreciated. I was amazed, as you were, that our blogging community has embraced the power of writing poetry. Now, what I am looking into is why there are very few recitations. This thought came to me when I listened to your poetry recitation and videos, which were magnificent. The words came alive and there was a deeper understanding that came through the voice, rhythm and cadence. The lack of poetry reading over the internet, in general, is puzzling. We have music, songs, but I find that poetry has very little presence. Maybe I’m not looking in the right places. I will continue my search!

1. Frank Prem is sharing his spoken word poetry on the his blog. https://frankprem.com/audio-recordings-spoken-word/

Yes, I have been on his blog before. Frank Prem has a brilliant way of reading poetry and then inviting the listener to buy his book. It is a great way to be a part of his amazing world or words. His voice compels us to engage in the story, the symbols, the memories. Love it!! We need to encourage aspiring poets to use their voices.

3. I’m glad to hear that you appreciate Frank’s poetry! When I read his new poems on his blog, I now hear his voice rather than mine.

Exactly!! He has a marvelous range and brings us in to the poem. It is quite fascinating.