Episode 46: Dave Astor on Literature

Winter is a time for books, tea, great conversations and more books.

Yes, books.  I have a stack ready for January 2020 along with a stash of tea:  English Breakfast and Irish Breakfast, each with a subtle nuance.  Chai, Green, Oolong, and White. I am looking forward to a long winter. The book on top of my stack is Dave Astor’s Fascinating Facts About Famous Fiction Authors and the Greatest Novels of All Time: The Book Lover’s Guide to Literary Trivia

Dave has a marvelous way of going deep to find the story that is hidden in the folds of history.  He leads you on a treasure hunt that ends with golden informational nuggets that will entice you to read further.  From Ray Bradbury and Emily Bronte to Nikolai Gogol and Daphne du Maurier, the lives of writers may even be more exciting than the narratives they write.

Today, Dave Astor and I are bridging the 3,923 kilometers between New Jersey and Vancouver. Put the kettle on and add to the conversation.  We would love to hear your thoughts on TeaToastTrivia.com

I am your host Rebecca Budd and I’m looking forward to sharing this moment with you.

Thank you for joining Dave and me on Tea Toast & Trivia. And a very special thank you and shout out to Dave from the blog, Dave Astor on Literature.

In closing, I wanted to share a quote from Dave’s book, Fascinating Facts: “Literature can send our minds to another time and place, allowing us to forget our lives and troubles for a few precious hours.  It can educate us about history, open our minds, increase our empathy, make us think, give us things to converse about, and/or provide plenty of excitement along with the escapism.

Connect with Dave on Dave Astor on Literature.  Be prepared for an adventure.

Until next time, dear friends, safe travels.

1. elisabethm says:

Great to hear Dave talking about his (and mine) favorite subject! 😊

1. Dave Astor says:

Thank you, Elisabeth! I was following in your impressive footsteps as a guest on Rebecca’s great podcast. 🙂

I am so glad that I have connected with you both! You have added so much enjoyment to my reading adventures!

2. elisabethm says:

Great fun! Rebecca is an excellent host 😊

We are on a grand adventure!!! As Turgenev (Spring Torrents) said so well: “Take for yourself what you can, and don’t be ruled by others; to belong to oneself – the whole savour of life lies in that.” I confess that I haven’t read the book, but I love the quote.

4. Dave Astor says:

Elisabeth, I totally agree that Rebecca is an excellent host!

5. Dave Astor says:

Clanmother, Turgenev was a wise man. 🙂

He was indeed. My mother Frances, has added Turgenev to her 2020 reading list. She reminded me that her two most favourite books are by Dostoevsky – The Idiot (read twice) and Brothers Karamazov. I have a hard time keeping up with her! YIKES!

7. Dave Astor says:

Your mother is an impressive reader, Rebecca! “The Brothers Karamazov” is an amazing book.

2. Dave Astor says:

Thanks so much, Rebecca, for inviting me on your wonderful podcast — and for the expert and elegant way you conducted the interview! Very much appreciated! It’s always a great pleasure to converse with a fellow lover of books. 🙂

What a great conversation! I am delighted that you agreed to venture into the “podcast from a distance” unknown. I am looking forward to our next podcast in 2020. What I have learned is that we will never be able to read all the books we want, but that gives me great comfort. We will never run out of stories. Until next time….

1. Dave Astor says:

Thank you again, Clanmother! “…we will never be able to read all the books we want” — VERY true, but I’m hoping for 10%. 😉

I’m tagging along with you. Looking forward to tea & books. I hope we have a long, long winter!

3. Dave Astor says:

Winter is indeed conducive to reading!

3. Resa says:

Another fab podcast, Rebecca!
    Dave, thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.
    I agree, writing is cathartic.
    Looking forward to your return!
    I have been reading more, lately. I joined the library 2 years ago, and I am a very happy member!

Guys, I heard of a Podcast this morning on the CBC. It is called Wiit Teh, which is Cree (If I remember correctly) for Let’s Talk.
    I couldn’t help but think of Rebecca’s Podcast, as it is the only one I listen to. LOL.
    It’s part of the preserving of indigenous languages.
    Here’s a link to the effort by the CBC. https://originalvoices.ca/
    I knew I was going to tell Rebecca about this as I was watching!
    Happy Holidays!!!

Thank you for the introduction to Original Voice. LOVE it! I have a friend who just came back from the Paris Conference on Indigenous languages. https://en.unesco.org/events/international-conference-language-technologies-all-lt4all-enabling-linguistic-diversity-and. (I hope that I have the right link). We are losing languages as an exponential rate, and with it their nuances and thought structures. Dave is a wealth of information and I will be following him as I continue to explore reading from a different angle. We read to learn and add to our wisdom – which I have done in the past, but as we enter 2020, I am looking deeper into a broader storyline which will add empathy and compassion into the conversation, which goes along with the Original Voices podcast. As Dave and I were discussing, it is not easy to tell our personal story to the world. But it is a gift that is ours to give. Hugs coming your way – thank you for listening in. Hope you will join us in 2020!!!

1. Resa says:

I checked out the link! it works. Fabulous!
        I will be there in 2020, as I am now!
        I can’t follow and be dedicated to all the blogs, but I adore all of yours.
        Lol! When I post a new Art Gown, there are so many comments, that I get a bit lost. I want to answer all, and at least have a quick visit.
        Hugs, and I’m off to visit Dave!

I agree – there is a delicate balance between creating and following. The first priority is to create – and you do it so very very well. I know that you are there – always. Grateful for our friendship!

2. Dave Astor says:

Resa, thanks so much for your comments, for listening to the podcast, for visiting my blog, and for the mention of “Wiit Teh” — which I will check out. 🙂 Yes, reading and writing are wonderful things. 🙂 Happy Holidays to you, too!

1. Dave Astor says:

“…there is a delicate balance between creating and following,” so true, Clanmother! Finding time for both can be a challenge, but both are so important — educational and very often enjoyable!

I agree wholeheartedly, Dave!! My learning has increased exponentially since joining the blogging community. We simply cannot experience all of life, but we have explore through the words, thoughts, wisdom of others. Life is about conversations.

3. Dave Astor says:

Clanmother, the WordPress blogging community is indeed a great “place” for learning and enjoyment — seeing all kinds of perspectives from all over the world. So happy that you, Elisabeth, Resa, and others are a part of it!

4. Thank you for introducing us to Dave and his blog. I’ve just subscribed. Hearing the literary trivia was a lot of fun. (I’ve read several books of literary trivia, but these were all new nuggets to me.)

I am very excited about my reading program for 2020. My brother challenged me to read 25 books in 2020. And it cannot be comic books. But that gave me a thought – I don’t think that I’ve read a comic book in decades. So I’m on the prowl for a good comic book. Isn’t it interesting that when someone says not to do something, that is the very thing that you most want to do! Merry Christmas, my dear friend. Here’s to many great conversations awaiting our arrival in 2020!

1. Coincidentally, a colleague of mine writes comic books in the fantasy vein: https://tylerwentland.com/. Merry Christmas to you as well, Rebecca. I look forward to many interesting conversations in the new year.

Oh! Thank you for the introduction. I think I’ve found my comic book!!

2. Dave Astor says:

Liz, I’m late in responding, but thank you very much for listening to the podcast — and for subscribing to, reading, and commenting on my blog! Also, I’m really enjoying your blog and writing!

1. Thank you so much, Dave!!