Episode 43: Shirley on Wellness

Good morning, Good Afternoon, Good Evening, – wherever you are, thank you for listening in.

Every Wednesday, I meet up with my mother, Frances, for tea and a wonderful conversation, which has, over the past few months, become our time to create a podcast discussion.  We usually meet in her sewing room among the material, patterns and threads, but today we carried our mic over to see our long-time friend, Shirley, a reflexologist and aromatherapist.

Lexico, power by Oxford defines reflexology as “a system of massage used to relieve tension and treat illness, based on the theory that there are reflex points on the feet, hands, and head linked to every part of the body.”

The Mayo Clinic goes into more depth, confirming that it is a way of seeking relaxation and stress relief.  As in all areas of health, you should talk to your doctor whether reflexology will be a benefit for you.

Put the kettle on and add to the discussion on TeaToastTrivia.com.   I am your host Rebecca Budd and I’m looking forward to sharing this moment with you.

Thank you for joining Shirley, Frances and me on Tea Toast and Trivia. A very special thank you to Shirley, for sharing her thoughts on seeking wellness within a fast-paced world.

One last thought comes from an ancient voice, Virgil who is traditionally ranked as one of Rome’s greatest poets.   “The greatest wealth is health.”

May we devote our time and efforts into investing in our health.

Until next time, dear friends, safe travels wherever your adventures take you.

12 Comments

1. Gallivanta says:

Lovely to hear you enjoying your time with Shirley. I love reflexology sessions. I used to have them regularly but now only occasionally. I think they work best when done on a regular basis. How wonderful that you can do that!

We have a wonderful time with Shirley. Frances (Mom) has benefited from her sessions with Shirley. Many years ago when we lived in Northern Manitoba, Mom slipped on ice and broke her ankle, which healed but more care has to be taken when walking. Reflexology has been a great help to relax muscles that support legs, ankles and knees. We have great Wednesdays – so glad that you came over to join us…

Thank you for sharing about reflexology, something I knew nothing about! I will consider it going forward with the long healing process for my broken leg. I’m also interested in healing with aromatherapy and look forward to learning more about these two wellness techniques. What Frances said about wellness being social and spiritual is so important. It truly is an expansive dynamic. Most people deeply appreciate receiving kindess but also feel wellness when they give it too. It’s contagious in the best sense, even more so than anger and negativity. Kindness and wellness are inspirational. Hugs for you all!!!

And we are sending hugs back to you, Mary Jo, as well as positive thoughts for your healing process. I agree there is a reciprocity between wellness and kindness that brings a sense of belonging and optimism. Life is complex – there is no absolute certainty in anything, but it seems that humanity thrives on ambiguity. The first time I heard about reflexology was when I lived in Northern Manitoba. The jeweler was a good friend of the family – in fact to the whole town, which at its height had a population of 3500. He was ahead of his time and was the one who produced the famous foot illustration that named the different areas of the foot. That was over 4 decades ago. Life goes zoom zoom!!!

2. Well said, Mary Jo! I didn’t know anything about reflexology either before I listened to the podcast.

Thank you for listening in. Shirley is coming back in January to talk about wellness in the middle of winter.

2. I’ll look forward to it.

3. The discussion about checking in with people at work to see how they’re doing reminded me that I used to do that when I taught in the classroom. We’d just do a check-in when class started and ended to identify and set aside anything that might be going on that would impede the learning process. I’ve been teaching online for so long now, I’d forgotten all about it! Rebecca, I got a kick out of your not knowing as a child which side of the bed was the right side that you were supposed to get up on!

What a great idea to do in a classroom and I can see applications in many other areas. It brings focus on how much has been accomplished and open the door to celebration. What I forget as I hurry forward to the next task, is to validate what has been done “so far” and to enjoy the accomplishments. I am especially interested in on-line teaching, which is a growing trend. Will connect with you in the New Year!

1. What I like most about online teaching is that it is immersive, and I can bring students further along in their writing development than I could in classroom teaching, which was compartmentalized. I look forward to connecting with you in the New Year!

I am so glad that we are entering 2020 together. Let the celebration begin!!!!

Comments are closed.