Episode 23: Friendship Through the Voice of Poet, Jean-Jacques Fournier

Welcome to Tea Toast & Trivia!

The refreshing taste of an iced fruit tea on a hot summer afternoon in August adds to the pure enjoyment of reading the poetry of my dear friend and poet, Jean-Jacques Fournier.

Jean-Jacques Fournier is a native of Montreal and has been living  in the Eastern Townships (QC) since 2010 with his French wife Marianne. Before returning to Canada, he lived eight glorious years in the South of France, first in Vence, which is situated in the hills of the Alpes Maritime overlooking the Mediterranean Sea. Then in Grasse, considered the world’s capital of perfume. It sounds marvelous, does it not?

Jean-Jacques’s poetry expresses the emotional depth and breadth of the human experience.

Join me as I explore the theme of friendship through the voice and words of poetry by Jean-Jacques Fournier

I’m your host, Rebecca Budd and I’m looking forward to sharing this moment with you.

In a recent blog post, I wrote that a long-time friend once said to me, “We have a friendship, with commas.”

“What does that mean?” I had asked asked.

“It means that, no matter how much time has passed, we pick up our conversation where we left off. There are no “periods” in our friendship timeline.”

Within a few hours of publishing my post, I received this insightful response from my friend, Jean-Jacques:

A very lovely friendship philosophy and one to be envied. What this world of ours needs considering what our century’s speed-crazed society must now contend, as with the obsolescence factor on near everything from the minimal mundane, up to and even including friendship, which with the advent of Facebook, the word friend has become a generic term much like the trademark word of Frigidaire became the reference name for all marks of refrigerators, all of which we have come to consider as normal. And if I may be so bold, from my collection of friendship poems, I would include my first ever published poem called “Friend”, and another short one from much later, called “A Friendship…”

Jean-Jacques thoughts on how friendship has become generic, resonated, especially in a time when our reward systems need a complete retrofit. We measure our personal value by the number of likes rather than engaging conversations, speed over thoughtful reflection, fashion over style. Friendship brings health and wealth to our spirit. I am delighted that Jean-Jacques has given me permission to read and share his two poems on friendship.

“ Friend ”
– a singular entitlement –

Why do they call me friend…

What is their cause
Or purpose
To judge me worthy,
That they should levy
Such expression of regard,
Entrust this much
Responsibility
To be bestowed
Upon my person,
Thus be asked to manage
With this impressive status…

And to this call, friend
A singular entitlement,
Who finds possess
Such impartiality
Could deem me deserving,
Or capable indeed
To discharge such obligation,
Required and implied
When one is given title,
That of being called friend…

Why do they call me friend!

© Jean-Jacques Fournier

Thus years ago
Two scores or more,
Serendipity alas
Upon me did bestow
That august gift!

© Jean-Jacques Fournier

Jean-Jacques Fournier started writing in earnest, while living in California in the early eighties. In the process of reinventing himself numerous times, his penchant for the language of poetry seemed best suited to express emotional experiences. While in France, he published his first three books. He has published fifteen books of poetry to date.  His latest book, CHAOS – a human side of man was published December 20, 2018, which is available through Amazon and Jean-Jacques website, Poetry on a canapé.  I invite you to visit teatoasttrivia.com for links to Jean-Jacques and transcripts of this podcast.

Thank you for joining me on Tea Toast and Trivia. And special thank you to my friend, Jean-Jacques!

May we embrace the grace and generosity of friendship on our journey.  Life is the very best with shared with kindred spirits.

Until next time, dear friends, safe travels wherever your adventure take you.

1. Gallivanta says:

Your reading and words on friendship reminded me of a little verse in my old autograph book: “There are big ships and little ships,
    and ships that sail the sea, but the best ships are friendships,
    and may they always be.” Interestingly, the suffix ‘ship’ and the noun ‘ship’ do not share the same etymology. I wish that they did. I can think of nothing better than a ship full of friends! 🙂

Oh how very very well said. I looked up the poem to find the author. According to Goodreads it is “Anonymous.” I am grateful to all the Anonymous writers, artists, poets that added joy to our world. Your comments always send me on a treasure hunt. Headed over the etymology world once if finish writing this comment. You are the best!!!

1. Gallivanta says:

Yes, we owe so much to Anonymous.

2. Ms Frances says:

Thank you for introducing me to Jean-Jacques Fournier, such a delightful experience. Imagine writing so much in poetry, what a gift , talent and ability. I enjoyed hearing you read the lines so well and with genuine expression. Thank you, I shall return to this.

I am delighted that you enjoyed this podcast. Jean-Jacques’s poetry allows readers to explore the depth and breadth of the human experience. Consider the idea of friendship. There are so many variations of this theme. Each friendship has unique qualities and outcomes. All of which, is a celebration of our interconnected lives.

3. How wonderful to see that Jean-Jacques has joined you for a conversation! I look forward to joining you both on my long drive to Vermont in a couple of weeks.

You were the one who inspired me to record my poetry readings – to be bold and include my interpretation. When I studied literature in university, I found that the primary concern was to dissect every line so that it became a blur to me. What was the correct rhythm? What was the tone? How was each word to be articulated? Looking back, I realize that the enormity of poetry can be overwhelming. One or two literature courses just provide a starting point, a place to begin the journey. Poetry is life-long; it is embedded within us. As we age and gather more memories, poetry allows us to explore and celebrate the fullness of our experiences. I am grateful for our poets!!! I enjoy our conversations.

4. Interesting that you mention your university experience of dissecting a poem’s every line. “Dissection” is done to dead things. Poetry comes to life when the reader experiences it. Any discussion and analysis of a poem should enhance and enrich your experience of it.

I agree wholeheartedly. I don’t think that I was ready for the grandness of poetry. I learned that I needed to be more open, more receptive to the gift of poetry. I used to walk back and forth from work and home (my commitment to sustainability) and took up reading via audiobook. I came across the audio of poems being read the poets who penned them. I remember being overwhelmed by the elegance of the oral tradition. Anyway, I was in the middle of a busy city street when I started to cry for the beauty of what was being offered. From that time on, I was on the poetry trail. One day, when courage comes, I will start to write poetry, but for now, I bask in the enjoyment of what has been written.

5. The fact that a human being can create something so beautiful with language is what brings me to tears.

6. Jean-Jacques says:

How wonderful to read all these positive and encouraging affirmations on the medium of poetry, which in spite of its historic inception, somehow remains ageless and thus so throughout its periodic resurgences, at least in my ever accumulating years, and now seemingly stronger than ever.
    For that, as a humble scribbler of this medium, I will be forever grateful to you all for so kindly sharing your assuring thoughts.

Poetry is alive, because of poets like you, Jean-Jacques, who share their poetry. Thank you so much!

7. Liz says:

This is another one of your posts which I have bookmarked as I am sure to come back to it again and again. And I have ordered a copy of Jean-Jacques book – thank you for sharing his powerful work.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the podcast. Jean-Jacques has been a strong influence and inspiration in my returning to poetry, something that I lost along the way over the years. Poetry has rhythm, dynamics that demand entry into our hearts. Powerful stuff.

8. Resa says:

This is one heck of a wonderful post, Rebecca!
    Iced tea on a hot day, and a philosophical poet friend like Jean-Jacques is a winning recipe. His poems on friendship are fabulous, and you did them great justice with your readings. I’ll be visiting his site now. {{{HUGS}}}

I am so glad that you enjoyed this post – Jean-Jacques is a marvelous, generous poet. I keep his books of poetry close by. Friendship is essential for without connections we would surely die of loneliness. By the way, drinking ice tea and sending hugs back your way.

1. Resa says:

I went to his blog, liked, commented and followed. Have a sip for me! 😀

You are the best!!! Hugs!